22 Mar 2023, Mashable SE Asia
It’s official: TikTok will not be taking orders from the Malaysian government especially when it comes to taking down videos.
However, TikTok Malaysia’s public policy director Hafizin Tajudin said the short-form video hosting service platform will continue working closely with Malaysian authorities when it comes to disinformation and misinformation.
“We will not take instructions from the government. We are first and foremost guided by our community guidelines and have a strict policy against that,” he said at a panel session entitled “Tackling Hate Speech Online: What do we need to do legally, socially, and politically” on March 21, 2023.
“Our guidelines are a global standard, meaning we are subjected to robust quality assurances. For example, if we didn’t comply with these standards, the global (TikTok) team will be able to detect and investigate it.”
Hafizin clarified that TikTok engages with Malaysia’s Communications and Digital Ministry in the platform’s capacity as a stakeholder in the Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).
His comments come following calls for TikTok to be more assertive especially when it comes to dealing with fake news.
“Eventually, post-GE15 saw a power vacuum which led to the spread of May 13 content on the platform. Was it an oversight on our end, I will say that it was not as by the time we had received Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission’s (MCMC) request to take down the content, we had already taken down close to 2,000 pieces detected for various breaches by our AI (artificial intelligence).”
With a five-percent leakage rate of provocative content, Hafizin is able to remove 95 percent of them.
From November 12 to 18, TikTok successfully removed 857 videos. Meanwhile, from November 20 to 26, 1,126 videos were removed.
On top of this, the MCMC also submitted 202 requests for content removal between December 25, 2022 and January 1, 2023.